5.17.2009

And Then it Rained!

Well, my first craft booth experience was…interesting. The forecast called for rain but Pam and I were very hopefully. It stormed in the early morning and rained when we went to set up. Once we got our tent put together and plastic around for walls to keep us dry we realized we were in the wrong spot. We were close but didn’t think we could stay in the spot we were set up in. Since the booth next to us wasn’t there yet we figured it would be better to move before they got there. Quickly we all worked together to shift our tent and tables over a few feet putting us in the correct assigned spot and we were ready to set up.

Here is a quick view of what was for sale:

Fabric Birds







Cards for every occasion













Glass Magnets
















A fun example of a page for my pre-made photo books
Books made with the coptic stitch











By the time the Picnic was ready to start the sun was out and we took down all our plastic walls. The weather was good for about 2 hours but I quickly realized we were not in the best location. I thought we had picked a good spot from the layout of the booths but I think we were wrong. There wasn’t anything to bring people our way. The booths near the food had tons of traffic but we only seemed to get a few people wandering our way. Also we were right next to the main stage, need I say more?

And then the rain came. It came and it came hard. Luckily we could tell it was coming so we covered everything up and nothing was ruined but we literally had to hold our tent down for about an hour.
This is me, soaked, after the worst rain was gone. I was only able to put on my rain jacket after I was already completely drenched!
Cold, wet and tired, we packed up once the rain stopped and were ready to go home. A lady at another booth told me not to let this discourage me because she has been doing this every Saturday for years and these were the worst conditions she had ever seen.
All the hard work and preparation we put into this show made this experience disappointing, but I do think I want to try it again…one day.
Thank you so much to Roger and Oley. We couldn't have done this without you guys!

26 comments:

Nicki said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog on my SITS day! I cannot believe you had so much rain. Your crafts look beautiful!!! Keep up the great work, and hopefully you'll have better weather in the future.

Amanda Martinez said...

Oh my gosh! What a crummy day for an outside event! Bummer! I'm sorry!
On a lighter note, I LOVE those little birds! What a cute idea! Your crafts really are so beautiful!
Try not to let this discourage you! I'm sure the next fair will be... drier.

DL said...

Where is the picture of you guys holding down the tent in the wind?
Love your photos of the rain and your work!
DL

Julie said...

Oh my! What a wet day...but your items are so cute. I love the birds! Don't give up.
Stopping by to welcome you to the SITS community :)

Carma Sez said...

That's a bummer about the deluge...Lots of talent there, though! I hope you try again.

Stoppin' by from SITS to say "hi" and welcome. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers!
carma :-)

Sandy said...

What a shame that it rained! Your things are all very nice:0) Better luck next time!

I stopped by to welcome you to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood:0)

Taryn Zerner said...

Oh no! Why did it have to rain?!!!
Well, I must say that your crafts looked amazing in addition to how you displayed everything!
Stoppin' by from SITS, and wanted to welcome you to the SITStahood!!!

Love,
Taryn

Juanita said...

Adorable - everything you make is absolutely wonderful! I'm sorry it rained on your parade, but blue skies are in your future!

Juanita

Annie Solomon said...

Just saw the pics. So many pretty things! Sorry you got rained on, but don't give up! Look how much you learned about placement etc. And I was out of town so couldn't go. So you and Pam have to do it again.

ben said...

wow!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first craft booth.

Welcome to SITS!

Cammie said...

stopping by from SITS to say hello and welcome you!!! What cute crafts!! Love them!

said...

Sorry about the weather but your handmade things are so nice!

Welcome to the SITS community!

Anonymous said...

Oh no and you had so much great stuff to sell! I stopped by your Etsy shop and I love the glass magnets. I think I am going to have to favorite your shop and when I move buy some! Buying stuff now could result it them getting lost!

I'm stopping by to give you a big welcome to the SITStahood! We look forward to seeing yoy around and we're so glad you coudl join us!

Just Lisa said...

I love your stuff! Don't be discouraged-- better luck next time!

I came by to welcome you to SITS! We're glad to have you with us!

M.A. said...

Oh my gosh! How terrible. You have a fabulous blog! Stopping by from SITS - have a great day!

a. brooke said...

Sorry about the rain but you should check out the booth rates for the Kentuck festival that takes place in Tuscaloosa every year. It is nationally-recognized, awesome & VERY highly attended. While the emphasis tends to be on folk art (very broadly defined), the festival welcomes a very diverse range of artists. I look forward to it every year.
I keep telling ben that he should get a booth, but maybe you guys should split one?

http://www.kentuck.org/festival.html

Lesley said...

sorry you got rained out....huge bummer...Love the magnets and the birds....fabulous stuff....stopping by to welcome you to SItS...so happy you've joined us....good luck with your next show....

Brandy said...

Just stopping by to welcome you to SITS! I'm sorry that your first experience wasn't the best. I agree with the other crafter...don't give up!

Ali said...

Love those magnets...but not the rain!

Two ArtisanSisters said...

Love your blog! You are very talented! So sorry to read about all of the terrible rain you had and hope you have much better weather and turnout the next time! Thanks for finding and joining our blog as we are new to blogging also and are learning along the way!
We wish you all the best!
Ruth and Marilyn
Two Artisan Sisters

Ramblin Mama said...

What an awful way to start out your show career! I spent one show in an absolute soaked cotton sundress once! (Learned to carry a change of clothes, though!) Better weather to ya' next time! Beautiful work!

Jen said...

Your crafts are beautiful.

Julie Link said...

found you via SITS...your crafts are so sweet! love the little fabric birds! i'll be checking in regularly!

ACHARYA RAMESH SACHDEVA said...

PERHAPS THIS RAIN HAS GIVEN YOUR MORE AND MORE TO WORK. CARRY ON. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ALWAYS MAKE HISTORY. I WILL LIKE TO SEE MORE IN COMING DAYS. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.
FAILURES ARE THE SUCCESS OF ACHIEVERS.
RAMESH

ACHARYA RAMESH SACHDEVA said...

OH! BUT IS NOT THE MOMENTTO STOP BUT IS TO E CAREFUL. SO CARRY ON. ONE DAY RAIN WILL STOP TO SEE YOUR WORK.
IT IS NOT FAILURE IT IS THE SUCCESS.
I WILL WAIT FOR NEXT ONE.
WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST.
RAMESH

 
On the Refrigerator Door - by Templates para novo blogger
counter to blogger